List of Tesla Superchargers with magic docks installed

Yes that would be correct on not needing to send a signal to unlock anything. However, I still think Tesla would go the app activation route since not every car can support Plug and Charge. They also don't want to add a credit card terminal. App activation just makes the most sense right now alongside Plug and Charge for those vehicles that support it.
For the adapter route, I agree.

By the time [late] 2025 rolls around, when cars start appearing with actual NACS inlets, I'd be willing to bet that Tesla/Ford/GM/??? will come up with a more seamless solution. But yes, for adapter users, an app-based payment solution is most likely.

Price now unknown, I will be happy to pay a thousand bucks for this (be sure to get on their waiting list here):

tesla-to-ccs-1024x389.webp

Sounds like another totally useless location. There are countless CCS chargers in Ft. Worth according to Plugshare.

But even countless places in CA can use Magic Dock. Such as Susanville, CA and Lake Topaz right on a major highway (CA 395) where they have Tesla Superchargers but no CCS for many miles. The Magic Dock in Placerville is perhaps the stupidest location of all to have Magic Dock. At a rather crowded Tesla Supercharger site where I had to wait for a Tesla to leave so I could try it out on my Energica Experia Motorcycle. All other slots were full with Teslas. And perhaps a mile from there to the nearest real CCS charge station.

But I am glad to hear they are working on it. I just wish they would start at the places where it is really needed very much instead of all the totally useless locations where nobody will appreciate it.

And then have it also at the Tesla Superchargers at Incline Village, NV. The one and only EV-Go there has been broken for almost a year, just a few feet from ten Tesla Superchargers that always work. I have yet to see even one broken Tesla Supercharger. I doubt if that EV-Go charger there at Incline Village will ever be repaired. It seems to me that is very, very rare for ANY CCS charger to be repaired after it breaks.

Notice the "10" rating on Plugshare for the ten Tesla Superchargers at Incline Village. Then notice the "1" rating for the single CCS charger a few feet away.

For now, if somebody wants reliable charging on the road, owning a Tesla is a must. I know changes are coming, but I wish they would start with the areas where people really need it.

-Don- Reno, NV

At this point, I don't think that Tesla is locating their Magic Docks at sites that have an urgent need for CCS. In fact, they may intentionally be choosing sites that are located near alternatives so that if something goes wrong drivers don't get stranded. Like everything Tesla does, they are using the public to do a part of their testing for them, and at this point, Magic Dock is definitely just a test.

Once they feel confident with their system, I could see them rolling it out to places where yes, there is a need, but probably avoiding bottleneck areas so as to avoid having stalls blocked by vehicles that have to park "wrong" to plug into the pedestals.

That, and with the whole NACS thing and the eventual availability of adapters that people can bring themselves, I have to wonder how widely the Magic Dock program will roll out. I'm actually a bit surprised to see this new station, so maybe there is hope that they will continue their rollout.

At this point, I don't think that Tesla is locating their Magic Docks at sites that have an urgent need for CCS. In fact, they may intentionally be choosing sites that are located near alternatives so that if something goes wrong drivers don't get stranded. Like everything Tesla does, they are using the public to do a part of their testing for them, and at this point, Magic Dock is definitely just a test.

Once they feel confident with their system, I could see them rolling it out to places where yes, there is a need, but probably avoiding bottleneck areas so as to avoid having stalls blocked by vehicles that have to park "wrong" to plug into the pedestals.

That, and with the whole NACS thing and the eventual availability of adapters that people can bring themselves, I have to wonder how widely the Magic Dock program will roll out. I'm actually a bit surprised to see this new station, so maybe there is hope that they will continue their rollout.
You make some good points there.

I also wonder if the Tesla to CCS adapter will be needed. The magic Dock could be causing delays and many never even happen if all the Tesla Superchargers are updated to Magic Doc.

Did I also hear somewhere that Teslas newer chargers will have two or more cables, to cover CCS as well as perhaps J-1772? Or was that just something I hear they are doing in Europe or what? I cannot remember where I heard that, but that would sure be nice. My Zero motorcycles can only use J-1772 and that is something any EV can use, even if very slow. Is there 240 VAC inside those Tesla Superchargers anyway?

-Don- Reno, NV

Last edited:
Your make some good points there.

I also wonder if the Tesla to CCS adapter will be needed. The magic Dock could be causing delays and many never even happen if all the Tesla Superchargers are updated to Magic Doc.

Did I also hear somewhere that Teslas newer chargers will have two or more cables, to cover CCS as well as perhaps J-1772? Or was that just something I hear they are doing in Europe or what? I cannot remember where I heard that, but that would sure be nice. My Zero motorcycles can only use J-1772 and that is something any EV can use, even if very slow. Is there 240 VAC inside those Tesla Superchargers anyway?

-Don- Reno, NV
All I have heard is that the V4 Superchargers will have longer cables to facilitate charging by other EVs that don't have the charge port in the same location as Teslas. But actual use by CCS vehicles would be accomplished with an adapter. In Europe, this problem doesn't really exist because Teslas & Superchargers there already use the CCS Type 2 connector, so they are already physically compatible with non-Tesla vehicles. Older Tesla Model S & X in Europe actually need an adapter to use the newer Superchargers. SOME Superchargers in Europe do in fact have two cables (one CCS, one Tesla), but these are older units from before the Model 3 was released in Europe (I don't even know if they exist at all any more).

As for J1772, Tesla does make a wall connector equivalent with a J1772 plug. I've not heard of any being colocated at Supercharger sites though.

Price now unknown, I will be happy to pay a thousand bucks for this (be sure to get on their waiting list here):

tesla-to-ccs-1024x389.webp
This adapter doesn't add much length. We need an adapter with a 6' cable or something, especially for non-Volvo/Polestar/etc EVs that have the port on the back left or the Ariya on the front right.

Are there even any v4s in NA yet? But even then, I'm wondering if that cable is long enough.

This adapter doesn't add much length. We need an adapter with a 6' cable or something, especially for non-Volvo/Polestar/etc EVs that have the port on the back left or the Ariya on the front right.

Are there even any v4s in NA yet? But even then, I'm wondering if that cable is long enough.
I'd really like to see charging stations deployed in an "island" configuration, similar to how gas pumps are laid out.

EV Charging Station Island.png
This would accommodate various charge port locations, vehicle sizes and trailers. It's a little less space efficient than the traditional pull-in spots, but maybe once gas stations don't need so many pumps, they will actually have some more real estate to play with.

The island configuration is much more common in Europe, especially Norway on TeslaBjorn's YT vids. And many gas stations in Norway are replacing some pumps with chargers. The island configuration makes a lot of sense. My wife has never charged any of our cars at a public location, mostly because she refuses to back in to chargers, but that's not always the config, thankfully. We had a LEAF before and the charging port on the front middle was the best part about it, but not the type of DCFC port of course.

I am not tracking them here, but there are now two Canadian sites that apparently have magic docks:

Deep River, ON: Supercharger - Deep River, ON
North Bay, ON: SuperCharger - North Bay, ON

Nice, I guess. I've still not seen one yet and I'm not holding any hope that I will. When will the US see V4's? That might be bigger news.

Do any EVs NOT have a backup camera? It is so easy to backup these days.

-Don- Reno, NV

Of course they all have backup cameras. But, yeah, I'll tell that to my wife. :ROFLMAO:

I've still not seen one yet and I'm not holding any hope that I will.
Well, you can at least see my 2023 Energica Experia using the Magic Dock at Placerville, CA:

1693966891244.png
But it would only charge at 8KW there. It will charge at 24 KW a mile from there on a real CCS charger.

-Don- Reno, NV

It appears Moab, UT and Mackinaw City, MI were randomly added today. Moab is a great spot. I understand the CCS infrastructure there leaves something to be desired.

There is also Chugiak, AK that I need to add to the list as well...still trying to get caught up!

It appears Moab, UT and Mackinaw City, MI were randomly added today. Moab is a great spot. I understand the CCS infrastructure there leaves something to be desired.
Yes, the nearest CCS DCFC appears to be an EA station in Green River UT, 52 miles away. As the gateway to Arches and Canyonlands National Parks, Moab is well worth a visit. [But, then, I am biased since I live 145 very scenic miles away and visit frequently.]

The old four stall V2 Supercharger Station in Moab was often full but the new eight stall V3 Supercharger Station isn't likely to have crowding issues for some years to come. Really good choice for Magic Docks.

There are reports that some of the stalls at the big Beaver UT Supercharger Station are getting Magic Docks, but it isn't on the Tesla website yet.

Is the issue that the 2023 Energica Experias will only charge at 8 KW with Magic Dock likely to be improved in the near future? It should charge at three times that rate.

-Don- Reno, NV

They're coming in fast again now. New one online in Moses Lake, WA. Just added.

Back