Cheyenne, WY Electrify America

On the other hand, it is in Cheyenne, WY.
It is an important intersection of I-25 and I-80 and a sorely needed addition but it’s not going to be loaded 100% with EVs 24x7

On the other hand, it is in Cheyenne, WY.
It is an important intersection of I-25 and I-80 and a sorely needed addition but it’s not going to be loaded 100% with EVs 24x7
I understand that EA was really modeling after Tesla location wise in Cheyenne here, but I think it is a pretty poor location for that cross traffic. The sites are a good distance off the interstate and through town for I80 and even from I25 you have to trek in a bit. The supercharger is so old (coming up on 10 years) in Cheyenne that I'd bet it being replaced at some point.

Little America is where the chargers should really be IMO. But also not sure why EA didn't pair up with the Walmart directly off I80...

No matter, hope they have a plan to supplement the site with some extra power.

I understand that EA was really modeling after Tesla location wise in Cheyenne here, but I think it is a pretty poor location for that cross traffic. The sites are a good distance off the interstate and through town for I80 and even from I25 you have to trek in a bit. The supercharger is so old (coming up on 10 years) in Cheyenne that I'd bet it being replaced at some point.

Little America is where the chargers should really be IMO. But also not sure why EA didn't pair up with the Walmart directly off I80...

No matter, hope they have a plan to supplement the site with some extra power.
Right on all accounts. I didn’t time it, but it’s a good 10-15 min away from the I-80/I-25 interchange, with some very funky turns through the golf course and airport. On the other hand, I’d take a Target and mall parking lot over yet another Walmart.

Walmart has done a fine job in getting their stores conveniently located right off the major interstates.

Right on all accounts. I didn’t time it, but it’s a good 10-15 min away from the I-80/I-25 interchange, with some very funky turns through the golf course and airport. On the other hand, I’d take a Target and mall parking lot over yet another Walmart.

Walmart has done a fine job in getting their stores conveniently located right off the major interstates.
Yeah that sounds about right and during certain times, two of the roads can get busy (by Cheyenne standards) to even add a bit more. I get why Tesla put their charger at the mall... at the time you needed to charge longer and needed things around, where better than a mall with restaurants around? But as we have gotten far past 120 kW, and people primarily use them for road trips... seems like a huge oversight to put it that far off the interstates. Add to that the gimped transformer and just whole debacle of this charger in general, just a very poor set of choices made here.

Saying all that, this is an absolutely needed charger for any CCS vehicle. Beggars can't be choosers.

The Flying J will hopefully get EVGo chargers via GM and it’s much better situated for interstate travelers.

The Flying J will hopefully get EVGo chargers via GM and it’s much better situated for interstate travelers.
Given GM stated the savings they'd have switching to NACS and the Tesla Superchargers... and what that partnership would have cost... probably safe to assume that deal is dead.

Given GM stated the savings they'd have switching to NACS and the Tesla Superchargers... and what that partnership would have cost... probably safe to assume that deal is dead.
That's what I saw, but GM & EVgo just issued a press release that they've opened their 1000th station (definitely not site!) the other day: the 4 stall site in Woodridge, IL: Fastcharger - Woodridge - Woodgrove Festival Shopping Mall

So it would appear that the deal is not completely dead, but just scaled back.

That's what I saw, but GM & EVgo just issued a press release that they've opened their 1000th station (definitely not site!) the other day: the 4 stall site in Woodridge, IL: Fastcharger - Woodridge - Woodgrove Festival Shopping Mall

So it would appear that the deal is not completely dead, but just scaled back.
I hope it is still alive and this isn't just the finishing up of the already allocated/spent funds. The statement that GM would save ~400m of the ~750m allocated to charging projects would signal to me two things... some payment to Tesla to join/help expand and/or some funds already spent/allocated. With the lag time from ordering, production, installation, and activation, I'd assume there are a lot of unfinished projects from prior to the NACS agreement.

On this site, drove by yesterday and no changes.

I’m pretty sure they said the exact same thing at this time last year. When I bought my vehicle spring of ‘22 Cheyenne was coming soon I’ll believe it when I’m charging there.

Stopped by today. They are "commissioning the charging station." According to the electricians, the delay was due to Black Hills Power taking more than a year to provide the meter for the site!

"Comissing will continue tomorrow and the station should be live by Wednesday (August 30, 2023)." According to the eletricians, the site has conduit in place for future expansion if Electrify America chooses to do so, and it can fully deliver 350kW charging at the dispenser marked as such. I'm not sure if there is one or two of those.

No guarantees but it's reasonable at this point to be hopeful.20230828_154753.jpg20230828_154807.jpg20230828_154825.jpg

Where are you coming from? I can check it out when I get off duty Wednesday morning since I'm local, and report back then.
I'm in Fort Collins. Not local per se, but not far. I'll target about 7:30-7:45am and stick around for maybe 30 minutes, and hopefully get a charge in!

I'm in Fort Collins. Not local per se, but not far. I'll target about 7:30-7:45am and stick around for maybe 30 minutes, and hopefully get a charge in!
I guess if you can make the round trip on a single charge or don't mind Level 2 charging if it's not yet online, just so you can do this without knowing whether or not they actually stay on schedule, have fun. I'll swing by later today to see how it's progressing and report an update if there's anything to report.

I guess if you can make the round trip on a single charge or don't mind Level 2 charging if it's not yet online, just so you can do this without knowing whether or not they actually stay on schedule, have fun. I'll swing by later today to see how it's progressing and report an update if there's anything to report.
Oh yeah, I can make it up and back just fine. I'm excited about this station, it opens up places like Ft. Laramie NHS and Mt Rushmore to be a little more accessible.

I stopped by late this afternoon. They have run into "modem problems". Once resolved, still need to download software and firmware, which they estimate will take "upto 8 hours". The hope to have the station operating "by the end of the week". They recommend not making plans to use the station until it shows it's available in the Electrify America app.

Back