Cheyenne, WY Electrify America

This site has officially been "under construction" for over a year now. Hopefully it opens soon!

Anyone have any recent updates?
Someone posted new photos on PlugShare. It looks like EA is ripping out the installed but never used ABB equipment and installing new Signet chargers. From looking at the model number, it appears to be Signet's 350 kW dispensers not the new EA and Signet co-developed units; but we might be surprised.

This must mean that EA has low confidence the ABB hardware will work properly or have replacement parts available. Throughout my home state of New Mexico, all of EA's equipment is ABB and it has trashy reliability. I really hope they rip up all of the ABB installs throughout the country that are not holding up to spec.

1130318.jpg

1130320.jpg

1130321.jpg

Someone posted new photos on PlugShare. It looks like EA is ripping out the installed but never used ABB equipment and installing new Signet chargers. From looking at the model number, it appears to be Signet's 350 kW dispensers not the new EA and Signet co-developed units; but we might be surprised.

This must mean that EA has low confidence the ABB hardware will work properly or have replacement parts available. Throughout my home state of New Mexico, all of EA's equipment is ABB and it has trashy reliability. I really hope they rip up all of the ABB installs throughout the country that are not holding up to spec.

1130318.jpg

1130320.jpg

1130321.jpg
Thanks @ArtiePenguin1! We’re rapidly approaching the end of the “30-45 day” estimate that the work crew gave @Alt-View1, so I’m curious how badly they’re going to exceed that? I’m hoping soon, so we don’t miss out on the summer road trip potential of this station.

Thanks @ArtiePenguin1! We’re rapidly approaching the end of the “30-45 day” estimate that the work crew gave @Alt-View1, so I’m curious how badly they’re going to exceed that? I’m hoping soon, so we don’t miss out on the summer road trip potential of this station.
You're welcome and I think the wait is well worth it. The less than one year old Casper EA location is already degraded since they used junk ABB equipment. There isn't a single working 350 kW unit at that site. These new Signets in Cheyenne should be much more reliable.

I went by today. Cheyenne has been experiencing what I call "monsoon season" with daily, sometimes heavy rains for about 2-3 weeks. Thos has slowed them down. They've done major below ground level conduit work. Today they are finally filling in the pit so they can pour a new concrete island for the new charging cabinets. I didn't bother the crew, but expect that the delay will result in completion being closer to end of June. 20230531_101321.jpg

Stioped by Friday and noticed they are working on wiring, but have only 3 charging cabinets for 4 dual connector stations, so I'm guessing either they are short one or one is defective and being replaced. 😥 conduit is visible sticking up, out from concrete pad where the other three chaging cabinets Re installed. What the situation is, hopefully it will be resolved soon. 20230609_104235.jpg20230609_104245.jpg20230609_104407.jpg

Attachments

• 20230609_104133.jpg
    20230609_104133.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 2
Stioped by Friday and noticed they are working on wiring, but have only 3 charging cabinets for 4 dual connector stations, so I'm guessing either they are short one or one is defective and being replaced. 😥 conduit is visible sticking up, out from concrete pad where the other three chaging cabinets Re installed. What the situation is, hopefully it will be resolved soon. View attachment 190View attachment 191View attachment 192
The new cabinets are 350 kW. (Older cabinets are 175 kW).

Electrify America now uses one cabinet for two dispensers.

The new cabinets are 350 kW. (Older cabinets are 175 kW).

Electrify America now uses one cabinet for two dispensers.
I know that. You are not understanding my post. There are 4 pedatstals each with 2connectors but only 3 charging cabinets (where the charger actually is located). Look at the area I circled. It's the conduit for the 4th charging cabinet. The other 3 are mounted and being wired. 20230612_115308.jpg

Went by today. They're trenching across the parking lot to get to water supply. Still only 3 charging cabinets for 8 connectors on 4 charging pedestals. 20230612_134002.jpg20230612_134142.jpg

for 4 dual connector stations
Still only 3 charging cabinets for 8 connectors on 4 charging pedestals.
Those are EA's new next-gen chargers. You're mistaken, each pedestal only has one CCS connector. Notice the single long cable. However, it does seem one charging cabinet is missing from the empty conduit in the picture.

They're trenching across the parking lot to get to water supply.
Why are they trenching to get to the water supply? The chargers need no water. Perhaps there's another utility line nearby...

Thanks for the updates, @Alt-View1. I need this station to get from Fort Collins to Fort Laramie! And back. Considering a trip up to Cheyenne to see the progress, there's been so much rain lately. I did notice that this station (along with the other WY I-80 EA station) doesn't show up on the "coming soon" list. I hope that isn't ominous.

Last Friday, June 16, 2023 it appear the charging connectors at the Electrify America CCS1 charging stations are being wired in despite still missing one charging cabinet. They have 3 of 4 in place. The delays and broken charging station at High Plains Harley-Davidson leaves Cheyenne with no CCS1 high speed charging stations. 20230616_130816.jpg

As @ArtiePenguin1 said, these new chargers run 2 pedestals off each charging cabinet, so all 4 should be able to be active. I can't explain why they would install a third cabinet if it's not needed (the 4th one, which would have been needed with the old hardware, is definitely surplus). I wonder if they may be planning a quick expansion of this site to 6 stalls? And even though it does look like the trench is (unexplainably) for water (based on the fact that I believe there is a fire hydrant in that island), is it at all possible that they may have been running conduit to install 2 more pedestals in that aisle?

The trench for the waterline is too shallow for any year round purpose. It's connected to the irrigation line on the island with the hydrant, so it probably is for landscaping irrigation near the charging station.

As for charging cabinet to connector ratio, it appears to be 1 to 1. It looks like they are just short one charging cabinet

Time will tell when this finally opens. No idea when that will be ad there have already been do many delays. I'll try to check in on it on 6/23/23.

As for charging cabinet to connector ratio, it appears to be 1 to 1. It looks like they are just short one charging cabinet
Yes, but that was with the old hardware that was originally on site. The new hardware only requires 2:1 (pedestals:cabinets). Technically the third one is not required (and definitely not the 4th), so since they installed a third one, that's why I'm wondering if they are planning on installing 2 more pedestals in the near future. Keep an eye out for that.

I found an example illustrating the new ratio. This is from a new site in Orlando (Orlando Vineland Premium Outlets (2) | Orlando, FL | EV Station)

Note 6 stations, with only 3 cabinets. Similar to how Tesla V3 chargers now have 4 pedestals for each cabinet. They are getting better at packing more into each cabinet.

1139448.jpg
I'm not going to argue over this. If your right it should open soon. If not,vit won't until the 4th charging cabinet arrives. Externally charging cabinets can look similar but be very different. I can't get close enough to find part numbers, so we will have to wait and see. Given that the original installation languished for over 28 months, and they tore out everything to install these, I'm not making any predictions. Feel free to speculate all you care to, but that's all itvis. It's incredibly frustrating that this installation is taking so long and Cheyenne doesn't have any other CCS1 charging which works.

Back