fcibot

Staff member
This thread is for discussion of the Clark Hyundai fast charger

Provider: ChargePoint Network

Address: 2955 U.S. 93 S,Kalispell,MT,59901

GPS: 48.163101,-114.286545

Stalls: 2(CCS [62]:2, CHAdeMO [62]:2)

Hours: 24 hours daily

ABRP routed me from Calgary through glacier national park during a blizzard. Well wasn't that a fun trick when we found the park was closed and needed to add an extra hour to our drive around the park. So glad we got a full charge back in Canada. We pulled in to Clarks on fumes. The manager and staff were amazing. Our Ioniq had developed a really nasty shake and feared the worst. But it was just packed snow. They cleaned all the snow out of our wheels and under the car. They let us warm up in the showroom while we charged. Free coffee too. Such a relief to come into this place when we thought we would end up freezing in the ditch.

clark.jpg

Thanks for the report. Most auto dealers want nothing to do with EVs that come to them wanting a charge (I can kind of understand their hesitancy, given that they may have been "forced" to install and provide maintenance for a charger), providing a service that doesn't relate to their primary business. Maybe it's because you had a Hyundai yourself. Maybe it's time for dealerships to rethink their model a bit and offer showroom lounges for travelers that help them recoup their costs for the charger by offering amenities for travelers (and possibly showing off their brand's EVs to EV owners...maybe the manufacturer would be more willing to chip in a few bucks if they did that).

Yes, many (most?) of the dealership chargers are ChargePoint units that are either pay per use, or you need to ask for a card from the dealer to activate the station. However, the ChargePoint model is that the site host really "owns" the charger and is responsible for upkeep, keeping it accessible, etc. If there is a problem (either with the equipment itself or the electrical service), the host needs to call ChargePoint who will charge them for parts and service, so what I find happening is that after a few years, once the stations start to have issues, the dealers can't be bothered to call in ChargePoint, which will only cost them money, so they just let the station sit there broken.

Either that or some shady dealers will jack up the price of charging to such a high amount that nobody in their right mind would charge there (which is just fine by the dealer).

So when you find a dealer that is welcoming and helpful, it is a rare find. Usually those dealers will have an EV "champion" that welcomes EVs and sees treating EV owners with respect as strategic. But of course once the champion moves on to a different role/dealer, the new guy may or may not care as much.

Sorry if this comes across as being too cynical (especially in response to a positive report!), but I am hoping that dealers do figure this out and either wholeheartedly embrace offering charging, or just don't even bother at all and let the independent charging networks figure it out. I would certainly approach any dealership charging station on a trip with skepticism and make sure I had a backup plan. That said, for some of the places you traveled to, there may not have been many alternatives!

Back