Version 1 Superchargers

ArtiePenguin1

A better place to post this would probably be on the Tesla Motor Club forum but I'd rather not create an account there just for that. Are there any V1 Superchargers still existing in the US?

I've been able to find very little about V1 Superchargers online, it seems to be lost to time. I know that the initial installs in 2012 were limited to 90 kW but were software increased to 120 kW. I think a few 120 kW stations exist and are classified as V1 NOT V2, the latter of which is quite common. However, the line between V1 and V2 seems very blurry and almost no one mentions V1. @lpickup I believe you did a writeup on the TMC Forums about the difference between V2 & V3, so perhaps you could provide some insight.

The earliest video I was able to find was Tesla's Supercharger unveiling video on September 24, 2012. The 5 prototype stations used a very different design with no cutout in the Supercharger dispenser post. The Tesla word mark logo was also vertical. I don't believe that design was used beyond those 5. The rest of early Superchargers until 2013 used a similar design to V2 & V3, just one that was more boxy and without the light up Tesla logo.

Anyways, it's very interesting going back and looking at technologial progress in the past 10 years. I just hope technical history is not forgotten, as is usually the case. I know it isn't a fair comparison but 45 minutes to go from 80% to 20% in a 2012 Model S seems so long when it takes my 2023 EV6 only 20 minutes with a peak of 230 kW.

Great question! I'll dig around a bit and see if I can discover anything (although first I have to get caught up after being gone for a week) I suspect, however, that V1 Superchargers are going to be as common as the Apple 1. One of the first Superchargers (I think it was the 34th worldwide) is located not far from me. I consider it a V1.5 Supercharger. It looks & feels like a V2, but unlike most V2's it only charges at 120kW instead of 150kW. So even that early on they had moved to the V2 design (and I did visit this one even before it opened in October 2013 and they were using the V2 cabinet/pedestal style then).

The first Supercharger (according to the supercharge.info WayBack feature) is in Barstow, CA, but that one appears to have been upgraded.

I checked out another very early one (in the first 5) in Folsom, CA and this one too appears to have been upgraded to the newer design over time. Here is the forum entry for it:

Back