fcibot

Staff member
This thread is for discussion of the Holiday Inn Guin fast charger

Provider: FCN

Address: 5750 AL-44,Guin,AL,35563

GPS: 34.010547,-87.835319

Stalls: 6

Hours:

I swung by this site today and it appears there's some substantial progress; four SK Signet charging posts were on site (in crates) along with some other stuff like signs and the site preparation work appeared underway. The chargers will be adjacent to the Tesla Superchargers at the same hotel. It definitely will be nice to have public 150+ kW charging between Memphis and Birmingham once this site is live.

Attachments

• PXL_20231126_205635860.jpg
    PXL_20231126_205635860.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 2
I swung by this site today and it appears there's some substantial progress; four SK Signet charging posts were on site (in crates) along with some other stuff like signs and the site preparation work appeared underway. The chargers will be adjacent to the Tesla Superchargers at the same hotel. It definitely will be nice to have public 150+ kW charging between Memphis and Birmingham once this site is live.
Great find. It looks like these could be the new 400kW units, but we'll see.

Great find. It looks like these could be the new 400kW units, but we'll see.
Poking around a bit on the SK Signet site, the closest match in design to the photos I could find was this all-in-one 150 kW model that doesn't use a separate power cabinet (not surprising since I didn't see any power cabinets or a concrete pedestal for one): SK Signet | V1 FC150kW. Except for the positions of the e-stop and NFC reader it looks identical.

I'll be back that way in a few weeks and will try to get more pictures—probably wishful thinking to hope it'll be operational by mid-December, although the hard part, getting lots of power to the site, was already taken care of by Tesla.

EDIT: I apparently also had a dashcam picture of the work in progress at the site. It appears there are only four pads for charging stations being installed, not the six announced previously. The two light grey cabinets with red switches and green transformer box in the center of the image appear to be new when looking at older photos of the site; the transformer to the left appears to be from the Tesla installation.

Attachments

• 2023_1126_205533_F_000027.jpg
    2023_1126_205533_F_000027.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I'll take 4 higher power stations over 6 lower power any day.

When you're back, see if you can snap a picture of the spec plate on one of the charger cabinets. Below is an example of one from a Francis site in Kansas. This particular one is rated at 500 amps, which is the top end of the current CCS spec.

1701122628278.png

Looks like someone has been by on PlugShare and got photos of the units now they're installed; they're FC150K-AB-PS units with a maximum power output of 300 amps on CCS and 200 amps on CHAdeMO. Assuming the cables are also rated for 300 amps, it looks like they'll cap out at 120 kW for 400 volt architecture cars. Not ideal, but much better than the CPE250 alternatives on/near the route.

Hopefully they'll be powered up in the next week or so for holiday traffic. Shouldn't take too much work with so much power already coming to the adjacent Tesla site.

Thanks! That's a disappointing, but as you say, way better than the CPE250s or nothing. I will update to show 150kW, which is the nameplate rating. Higher end 400V class cars will get close, and the 800V stuff should get it no problem.

Also, it looks like they can power share across both cables. With CHADEMO on there, I don't know how often this would actually happen, but interesting none the less.

Was able to charge here successfully on the way from Memphis to Birmingham; a huge timesaver versus detouring via the Shoals or even Pontotoc. ABRP thinks the chargers are 50 kW; I've put in a bug report to get that fixed. Averaged 97 kW through the session and I was still getting nearly 80 kW at 60% SoC in my ID.4, which is about as good as it gets when facing a 300 amp station limit.

Back