fcibot

Staff member
This thread is for discussion of the BP CENTEREACH fast charger

Provider: ChargePoint Network

Address: 3117 Nesconset Hwy,Centereach,NY,11720

GPS: 40.887839,-73.097965

Stalls: 1(CHAdeMO [?]:?, CCS [?]:?)

Hours: 24 hours daily

The reason for marking it as closed is one of current site policy rather than an actual source (at least for now). I realize it's somewhat arbitrary, but the policy is that if it's been 6 months since the first reported failure on Plugshare with no intervening successful checkins (and there are more than just 1 or 2 isolated unsuccessful checkins), then I will mark the site as CLOSED. The rationale, particularly at these ChargePoint sites which do tend to be abandaoned by the site host, is that if it hasn't been fixed in 6 months, or if it hasn't been visited by someone who uses Plugshare in that long, is it actually a viable fastcharger?

I realize that this is not perfect, and I am hoping that long term, with more forum users that can act as boots on the ground, we can shift to more of a hands on policy where stronger first-hand evidence is required for changes like this. But for the time being, this seems like a reasonable policy to eliminate "dead" stations. I'll also point out that in many cases, the site first sites in CLOSED TEMPORARILY state until it hits that 6 month threshold, giving interested parties a chance to investigate. In this particular case, this station was moved to CLOSED TEMPORARILY on 1/6 (probably as a result of a comprehensive audit I did) and "snoozed" until now. There are a lot of stations that are similarly "on the bubble" now--if you want to check that out, just use the Map tab and turn off all the stations except for Closed Temporarily.

The last successful Plugshare checkin for this site was 6/20/21 with the first unsuccessful checkin on 7/24/21. The most recent unsuccessful checkin was 1/7/22.

Now it is true that the station still is listed on the ChargePoint site (and thus still exists on AFDC, since ChargePoint would be the one to pull it from there), but as is the case with many ChargePoint stations, if the site host doesn't contact ChargePoint to let them know there is a problem with the station, ChargePoint will be none the wiser.

This station (along with many other BP and ARCO stations) was "claimed" by BP Pulse today in the AFDC. Most of the other stations they claimed were old EV Connect stations, but for this one they claimed the old ChargePoint station (this one had both ChargePoint and EV Connect at various times). Perhaps now that BP is acknowledging ownership they may do something about bringing it back online.

Back