Chargepoint RFID cards at EA?

DonTom

Whatever happened to the ideal of being able to use ChargePoint cards at Electrify America?

I do not like to use my cellphone to activate a charger. I normally have my cell with me, but it is usually off and takes quite a while to bootup. And then there could be too much sunlight or other such issues. While I do have a membership with AE, I prefer to just use a credit card where possible. But at least half the time their credit card readers do not work. Same with several other brand chargers, do not have CC readers that work. I have no idea why. But their RFID readers usually work fine.

EA are my least favorite chargers of them all, because they too often require the use of my cell phone. I carry the RFID card for most others, which are quite a few cards. But I prefer that to using my cell. Yesterday, here I had no choice but to use their app. I am not sure which took the longest, my charge or getting the thing started with my cellphone. I tried the CC reader first, says "network down".

-Don- Reno, NV

I had no choice but to use their app
While I too also wish EA offered a physical RFID card, you don't have to use their app per-say. You can just have the app open (or after you added the EA pass to Apple Pay) and then tap your phone with NFC to the NFC area on the charger. It'll be next to but separate from the credit card reader.

Using that way, you don't have to fiddle with "swiping to charge" or anything like that.

While I too also wish EA offered a physical RFID card, you don't have to use their app per-say. You can just have the app open (or after you added the EA pass to Apple Pay) and then tap your phone with NFC to the NFC area on the charger. It'll be next to but separate from the credit card reader.

Using that way, you don't have to fiddle with "swiping to charge" or anything like that.
I don't even want to use my cell at all, if possible. I normally just keep it off. I make around three cell calls per year at the very most and I do not use it for anything else other than EA Chargers. So it's on a PAYG plan, I mainly only want it for emergencies. And it is Android, is that still compatible with AE chargers? . BTW, I did notice the reader and right on the machine it mentioned "tap to activate" and I could NOT get that to work. But after I have the cell on and ready to go, to move the slider for the correct charger is not a big deal. That part went quite smoothy.

I kinda have a hangup about needing a cell for so many things in today's society. Perhaps because of my age (74). Anyway, my cell is a new 5G Verizon Wireless but it takes a very long time to boot up.

-Don- Auburn, CA

I don't even want to use my cell at all, if possible.
Sorry but with EA, that's not possible at all. Your phone needs to at least be powered on. I'm not sure if you need a data connection. I also wish EA would offer RFID but I don't think they ever will. We are lucky they let us use NFC with their app though, others like Francis Energy have no NFC functionality through their app (although thankfully Francis still mails RFID cards).

And it is Android, is that still compatible with AE chargers?
Yes, I have 2 Android phones and either works with NFC. In the EA app, go to Account > Payment > Pay with NFC for specific instructions. You usually just have to unlock your phone for it to work. The EA app doesn't need to be opened.
BTW, I did notice the reader and right on the machine it mentioned "tap to activate" and I could NOT get that to work.
Check that NFC is enabled and supported on your phone. It's also possible, but less likely, the dispenser's NFC reader was broken.
Anyway, my cell is a new 5G Verizon Wireless but it takes a very long time to boot up.
I'd recommend having your phone on but turning airplane mode on if you don't plan to use it often. That way you can skip the boot time but still save battery compared to just having it on in the background. Switching out of airplane mode and acquiring a cell signal shouldn't take more than 20-30 seconds.

Sorry but with EA, that's not possible at all.
It was possible in Bridgeport, CA at their EA. I used it with a credit card a few weeks ago. Very fast, no hassle at all. But the EA in South Lake Tahoe didn't work with the credit card. Seems to me perhaps most CC readers on charge stations do not work. Tahoe EA has the CC reader, but it said "network down" and could not be used.

I do wonder why so many credit card readers do not work on charge stations. This one in Carson City (but is EV-Range) worked perfectly with a CC the first day it opened., and I used such. And now it says the credit cards are no longer working and now must use their app there also.

BTW, I like your Airplane Mode idea. I will try that the next time I am on my way to an EA charger. Thanks.

-Don- Auburn, CA

It was possible in Bridgeport, CA at their EA. I used it with a credit card a few weeks ago. Very fast, no hassle at all.
Yeah I know, but we were talking about NFC/RFID to be able to use EA memberships. There's no way to do that via credit card, other than calling into support to try and get them to reimburse you if the app isn't working and you're forced to use credit card. They'll only do that on a limited case-by-case basis.

Right now, you must use your phone, either NFC or through the EA app, to use your EA membership. The only other true way is if you have a Plug & Charge capable vehicle.

I do wonder why so many credit card readers do not work on charge stations.
The credit card readers likely break and some might not be rated for outdoor use. It's a maintenance/hardware issue.

There's no way to do that via credit card, other than calling into support to try and get them to reimburse you if the app isn't working and you're forced to use credit card
IIRC, there was no difference in price to use a CC. The only difference that I am aware of is that you cannot watch the charge from a distance when a CC is used. That has never been an issue to me. The CC is as easy to use as a RFID card and that is all I care about. But way too many charge station CCs do not work. The CC readers on CCS machines are even less reliable than the CCS charger itself.

-Don- Auburn, CA

IIRC, there was no difference in price to use a CC.
No that's incorrect, there's a big difference in price if you're an EA Pass+ member for $4/month. You get a 25-30% discount on charging rates. So instead of $0.48/kWh it's $0.36/kWh.

Of course, if you aren't a paying member then there is no price difference. However, it would be worthwhile to be a member if you do any road tripping. The break-even point is just 33 kWh. That's less than a full charge for most EVs.

I am not a EA Pass member and that is one of the reasons why I am not. Then I would feel somewhat forced to use their app all the time. But the main reason is I have only used a few KWHs from EA. I have only used EA with my electric motorcycles. Never on any of my EV cars.

I own six EVs. Four EV motorcycles and two EV cars (2018 Tesla M3, LR, AWD and 2022 Chevy Bolt). I have charged the Tesla 3 times with a fast charger since I purchased the car new in 2018. I have charged my Bolt one time with a fast charger. An opportunity charge I did not need, but the fast charger was a free one and I was there anyway.

I need to recharge my motorcycles on every trip I take. I only use them for longer trips, unlike my cars (usually). Home changing works for my cars more than 99% of the time. Not nearly as true with my electric motorcycles.

-Don- Auburn, CA

I need to recharge my motorcycles on every trip I take. I only use them for longer trips, unlike my cars (usually). Home changing works for my cars more than 99% of the time. Not nearly as true with my electric motorcycles.
Oh ok that's understandable, I guess you don't road trip that much. I've only owned my EV6 for 6 months but I've put about 12,000 miles on it - mostly through road trips.

I guess you don't road trip that much. I
RVs and motorcycles for my longer trips. Not cars.

I always take a small electric motorcycle on all my RV trips. My 2017 Zero DS, carried on the hitch. That Zero has been charged all over the country.

-Don- Auburn, CA

I can empathize with your not wanting to use yet another gadget to activate a session, but I feel that at some point our society may leave you behind. One of my employees feels the same way (his phone is a flip phone) and we recently hosted employees and their families at a Carolina Hurricanes game, and entry into the arena is only available via smartphone (the bar code that is scanned at the gate is dynamic and changes every minute). The claimed reason for this is added security, but I'm sure it's simply Ticketmaster's way of thwarting third-party resellers. Anyway, it's disappointing that a smartphone is becoming a required item in today's society, but unfortunately that's the reality. You are unfortunately being required to capitulate to using your phone, or not being able to use all the charging stations you want to, even though in this case there is an alternative method, it's just that it doesn't work. In the future, that may or may not be an option.

I can empathize with your not wanting to use yet another gadget to activate a session, but I feel that at some point our society may leave you behind. One of my employees feels the same way (his phone is a flip phone) and we recently hosted employees and their families at a Carolina Hurricanes game, and entry into the arena is only available via smartphone (the bar code that is scanned at the gate is dynamic and changes every minute). The claimed reason for this is added security, but I'm sure it's simply Ticketmaster's way of thwarting third-party resellers. Anyway, it's disappointing that a smartphone is becoming a required item in today's society, but unfortunately that's the reality. You are unfortunately being required to capitulate to using your phone, or not being able to use all the charging stations you want to, even though in this case there is an alternative method, it's just that it doesn't work. In the future, that may or may not be an option.
Yeah, I realized that when I was at an Auto Parts store a few years back when all the prices were on a barcode and a sign said "scan barcode for prices". It made me walk out and go elsewhere. So I am still resisting the modern BS as much as I can. Perhaps I will be dead by the time it becomes so important nobody can do anything without a Smartphone. Another tech trap, IMO, if their cell breaks, they will have a big problem for a while. Will probably then need spare cellphones somehow or something like.

OTOH, I do enjoy some modern stuff. I now own seven EVs. Right now I am charging my new Zero DSR/X which I purchased just yesterday. But it only does AC charging. I am now charging it at 6KW before a ride around Lake Tahoe. Most of the J-plugs, such as this one are free to use, so it is cheaper to charge on the road than at home!

I am now charging for free at the free J-1772 at the Incline Village, NV Golf Course.

-Don-

Back