EVCS is becoming a big network

israndy

Mostly WA, OR, and CA but it seems to be one of the big boys, but we'll see

Yes. Being on the wrong coast, I don't have first-hand experience, so I'll ask how is their reliability and siting? I don't seem to see as many negative complaints on Plugshare checkins as with other networks, but that may just be because they have fewer sites and get less usage overall.

They do seem to be improving their app (their web map site kinda stinks though), so that is a good sign as well.

I follow EVCS on IG and they post a lot, but I have yet to visit one of their sites. I will fix that situation as I see there's a few around, but none in South OC. There's one EV Connect in South OC, but it doesn't appear to be related.

Never really like EVCS, primary their hardware mostly Tritium. I always get weird errors. There are a few site here but they are mostly concentrated in hotels. They have a unlimited charging plan. Their app, and website could use improving.

The one time I was able to try using EVCS (a site that was actually on), it rang up my card with temporary charges of $20, each time it failed. I need to make sure they didn't post as that would be ridiculous. I'm very wary of EVCS.

EVCS went through a growth spurt of sorts (perhaps through acquisitions?) but that progress has slowed considerably as of late.

As for the temporary holds, unfortunately that is becoming typical across the board (in any kind of transaction). I get temporary charges of $0.00 and $1.00 all the time now just when entering my credit card info for an online transaction. Obviously in your case they are trying to ensure they can capture at least $20 if they need to, which is reasonable, but the fact that they need to repeat it after a failure sucks. Fortunately I suspect they immediately cancel the charge after an unsuccessful session, but what I would be wary of are sites that have a connection fee, so you would be charged something like a $5 connection fee and then per kWh or per minute after that. What happens if the session fails prematurely then?

They did reverse the temporary $20 charges, but yeah, if it failed a few minutes in and kept it, that wouldn't be fun.

Back