Power level of RAN chargers?

lpickup

Administrator
Staff member
We have been assuming 200kW power level for Rivian Adventure Network chargers, but this Plugshare entry now indicates 225kW. Did Rivian up their power level on their network?

The chargers are 500 amp limited, so it depends on the pack voltage. The current Rivian vehicles get to around 430 volts before they start tapering, so power gets to 215-220 kW.

Interestingly, the Rivian app brands them as 215kW now. Shall we start specifying that instead?

Yes, I think we should match what Rivian advertises them as. Thanks for digging into this!

Recently saw a post with a picture of a RAN charger showing 300kW instead of the 215kW that was prevously displayed. 300kW is also what Rivian has stated as the actual capability. I'll add a link when I find it.

Edit: the user deleted the post for some reason.

Recently saw a post with a picture of a RAN charger showing 300kW instead of the 215kW that was prevously displayed. 300kW is also what Rivian has stated as the actual capability. I'll add a link when I find it.

Edit: the user deleted the post for some reason.
I believe they oversized their charging hardware for future upgrades, but unleashing that is still TBD as far as I know.

Yes, and Rivian has stated as much. It was an interesting post because it showed a charger that was displaying 300kW capability, which would've cleaned up the "when" question.

They just started charging their owners for charging. I wonder if this signals the possibility they will open up the network soon?

They just started charging their owners for charging. I wonder if this signals the possibility they will open up the network soon?
How does Rivian accept payments? Is it a proprietary communication between vehicle and station (or app and station) a la Tesla, or is there a credit card reader?

How does Rivian accept payments? Is it a proprietary communication between vehicle and station (or app and station) a la Tesla, or is there a credit card reader?
They are currently all free, but that is changing next month. Billing will be just like Tesla through a stored billing method (at least for Rivian vehicles). What happens in the future for non-Rivian vehicles is unknown.

300kW is now showing in the app for most locations. Some locations are mixed 300kW and 215kW

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231103_090632_Rivian.jpg
    Screenshot_20231103_090632_Rivian.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20231103_090607_Rivian.jpg
    Screenshot_20231103_090607_Rivian.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 2
Back