Power-level filter slider

LongIslandEVs

Plugshare already has this feature. An important feature is the ability to filter out stations by power level.

24kw Chargepoint and 50kw EVgo can easily clutter the map, if one only needs to see 150kw+ EA stations.

Attachments

• 2022-01-31 22_56_28-PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find a place to charge your car! and...png
    2022-01-31 22_56_28-PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find a place to charge your car! and...png
    30.1 KB · Views: 4
Very much agreed. This is high on my list for enhancements (in addition to providing filters for charging providers and possibly connector types).

What's the status on this FYI? It would be nice both for the Changes screen and the map. Even just a filter to hide anything below 100-125kW would be helpful. That's the level below which you'd really need to consider skipping or making a longer stop.

Yeah, apologies for not getting to the coding enhancements recently. Between work and other activities recently, time has not been a luxury, but I have given some thought about how to architect this. I'm pretty sure it won't be a slider kind of thing, but more like a set of different maps (in a dropdown menu) that would allow different filters. So for example: Map by Status (what we have today); Map by Provider; Map by Power Level; Map by Stall Count. And then the layer control would allow you to turn on/off different power level groups.

No worries. Take whatever time you need. I certainly couldn't do it. :)

Okay, motivated by @israndy's request to add an RSS feed (and subsequent work on that project), and a rare week off from hockey (freeing up some evenings), I bit the bullet and dove into this project.

It's not done yet, but I've made significant progress. With a bit of hard coding, I can now generate maps with selectable power levels and site sizes (stall counts):

1677860384333.png

1677860205516.png

My plan is to also offer filtering by network. This is a bit more difficult, but I think the hard parts are complete. I also need to work this into the UI (right now I have to actually change the code to get the different views), save defaults, update the site count display, etc..

This brings up a few questions. As you can see, I have retained the dot colors for each site's status and have shown planned, permit, and construction sites in those displays. Do you think I should only display actually open sites? If so, I could possibly (although this is more work) color code the pins based on the currently displayed criteria.

And if you do look at the cut points in the upper right corner, what do you think of them? I know 150kW is a pretty common cut point for people. I think the 101-200kW range will effectively display 150kW stations, but there are several stations in the 120-125kW range that it will also pick up.

I had this 95% done about 10 times over the weekend, but I finally got this into a state that is ready to release, so it is out there now. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

You can access the other groupings by using the Map Options dropdown and selecting either "By Power" or "By Size" and then using the Layer selections to turn off/on various categories.

I hope to add "By Provider" in the future, but this will take a little more work.

1678115902881.png

Awesome, thanks!

I found I needed to select the site grouping before being able to change the filtering, which makes sense. Some interesting insights already, especially when one selects >8 stalls at a site.

And my dumb question for the morning. What does the range slider do?

This is great. Thank you!

Awesome, thanks!

I found I needed to select the site grouping before being able to change the filtering, which makes sense. Some interesting insights already, especially when one selects >8 stalls at a site.
Yes, I will try to see if I can have it remember your preferences for that filtering (no promises though) as I suspect it will be fairly common for people to only want to see high power charging stations for example.

And my dumb question for the morning. What does the range slider do?
The better question is what should it do, as I was just noticing this morning the functionality is not quite 100% there.

Basically the range slider adjusts the diameter of the range circles if you have them turned on:

1678133403263.png

(I adjusted these down to 25 miles so it would be more obvious).

The part that doesn't work is that the pop-up window has a "circle on" link that should turn on the circle for an individual station, which these days (with very long range vehicles and a reasonably dense network), and with the variation in the types of stations on this site, seems like the only useful point of the range circles. So right now you can only turn them all on or off, not individually.

In the early days of the Supercharger network, I suspect having all the circles on made more sense as it helped highlight holes in the network, but we are kind of getting past the point where there are any true holes.

Now the questions you DIDN'T ask are why can you not turn off the Range Adjuster and what does "Rendering Options" do? For the former, I don't know...I'll have to look into that. And as for the latter, I don't really know either. If I look at the current supercharge.info site, those two menu options are now "Range Circle Options" and "Rendering Options". Range Circle Options brings up some styling options for the range circles, and Rendering Options toggles the range slider as well as the new pin and clustering options they just added.

Some interesting insights already, especially when one selects >8 stalls at a site.
Now if you want some interesting insights, I'll give you a sneak preview of the Group by Provider functionality:

1678134124413.png

That is a lot of fun to play around with!

I was able to make some good progress in getting this to work, so hopefully I can make it go live soon.

I did find with showing it by provider with the logo icons, it gets pretty busy, so I made the default when grouping by Provider to start with them all off and have them turned on manually. But it is interesting to see where the networks seem to be focusing their efforts, and it's easy to see how quickly the newcomers are growing.

I look forward to seeing the filter by network option, especially with all the EVgo closures.

I look forward to seeing the filter by network option, especially with all the EVgo closures.
Okay, have at it. I just uploaded the code.

I played around a bit with the icon size and made the icons smaller...not sure I like them that way though. Let me know what you think.

Also to avoid having it come up with a blank map, I had it come up with Non-Networked stations by default. That's probably the least interesting default, but I couldn't really pick a better option. Hopefully I can have it remember your selection at some point (and maybe sort the growing list of networks to choose from).

This is great! I'm seeing some issues on the power level and station # filters though. For instance, several <100kW stations in Alabama show even when only the 101-200kW. It seems to happen when you change from your initial selection, like you need to reset the grouping selection to clear it out.

To replicate, select filter by station number. Then deselect all options. Then select only >8 stalls. All stations will then turn on. That shouldn't be happening.

Really like the progress though. It's helpful!

Yeah, I'm getting some really weird behavior that I can't really understand at the moment. Thanks! I'll look into it.

Okay, have at it. I just uploaded the code.

I played around a bit with the icon size and made the icons smaller...not sure I like them that way though. Let me know what you think.

Also to avoid having it come up with a blank map, I had it come up with Non-Networked stations by default. That's probably the least interesting default, but I couldn't really pick a better option. Hopefully I can have it remember your selection at some point (and maybe sort the growing list of networks to choose from).
Great. Thanks! And yeah, as I suspected, EVgo has many huge voids in the nation.

This is great! I'm seeing some issues on the power level and station # filters though. For instance, several <100kW stations in Alabama show even when only the 101-200kW. It seems to happen when you change from your initial selection, like you need to reset the grouping selection to clear it out.

To replicate, select filter by station number. Then deselect all options. Then select only >8 stalls. All stations will then turn on. That shouldn't be happening.

Really like the progress though. It's helpful!
I finally found the issue with this and it should be fixed (you may need to reload the page). Thanks for reporting this!

Thanks for your huge efforts.

Any thoughts given to adding filters across the top like supercharge.info ?
Filtering things like DCFCs giving >= 4 stalls and >= 120 kW would seem useful.

lU0EW08.jpg

Yeah, I do like what they did. Probably will add at some point in the future...basically it's a matter of finding time.

Back