New ChargePoint chargers

lpickup

Administrator
Staff member
ChargePoint has recently opened (or is opening) new high power charging stations.

Here's the deal though:

If you look on the ChargePoint site, you see the power level of these listed as anywhere from 80 to 160kW (one of them said 128kW, which I actually believe was the case at least temporarily, because that's all some people on Plugshare were getting from it). But also on the ChargePoint site, there is an estimated charge rate shown on all of these of 1,050 miles per hour:

1678293592540.png
which doe snot seem feasible, because on my Model 3 this would imply about 250kW charge rate. So I'm not really sure what the make of that, however I do notice that regardless of whether it's listed as 80, 128 or 160kW, they all say 1,050 mi/hour, which is strange.

If you look on Plugshare, these seem to be listed now as 350/120kW units, which also doesn't seem to jive with reality, since it appears these don't even have CHAdeMO connectors:
1678293741993.png
Now there is a note in the "More Details" section stating that Plugshare is lo longer receiving live station data from ChargePoint (so are they just making up the connector information and status?)
1678293805621.png
If someone has an opportunity to visit one of these sites and gather some real information on them, it would be much appreciated. I suspect they are all identical units (although maybe some are throttled). Do they pair like the CPE250 units? What is the nameplate power rating?

Many of the Plugshare comments indicate that CHAdeMO connectors are "coming soon". Does there appear to be the capability on these stations for a second connector? Do any of them have them already?

A few of the more recent examples (just from today!) I have are:

Kum & Go - Dacono, CO: Fastcharger - Dacono - Kum & Go - Dacono
Estes Park Visitors Center: Fastcharger - Estes Park - DC CORRIDOR ESTES PARK DC1
Village Inn - La Junta, CO: Fastcharger - La Junta - HION LA JUNTA DC1
Target - Wheat Ridge, CO: Fastcharger - Wheat Ridge - Target Wheat Ridge (this one even lists a 200kW station, currently down)
Fox 5 Theatre - Sterling, CO: Fastcharger - Sterling - Fox 5 Theatre

Would really appreciate some info on what's the scoop with these new ChargePoint stations.

These look to be the Chargepoint Express Plus units. They do support CHADEMO cables.

I believe these units are modular and can take either 40kW modules or 200kW power blocks (Tech Specs). They also have variable current output rates. The fact that they are highly configurable is probably what leads to the confusion. You're going to see a bunch of different advertised power levels depending on what's installed.

The charging rate in miles/hour is probably just a default value for the max power output (500kW at 1000V,500amps). Also, it does appear the stations can split power.

I don't have personal experience with these, so some real world experience would be useful, as you suggest.

I haven't seen any signs of these new CP fast chargers. I heard about them from OOSKyle weeks or months ago, but that's it. Anything new would be welcome. The newest CP fast charger site here was installed in mid-2021.

Back