List of Tesla Superchargers with magic docks installed

Looks like Shirley, NY was added. Hopefully Surely this portends a steady roll out and that they will be moving outside of NY state at some point.
Thank you for the laugh!

I already checked out the two Superchargers near my mom to see if I can charge there and not take up two spaces. Which I can. One is rarely used so all I can do now is hope!

Fredonia & Hancock are not on Tesla's map today. Not sure of the reason. Hopefully it's just a glitch.

Anything going on since they added one on Long Island, NY?

Even as a trial, this seems very limited to me.

Is there any official feedback yet (yeah, I know, it's Tesla, lol). I've seen a few YT vids is it as none are anywhere near me.

I do check every few days to see if any new ones have popped up. I'm thinking that may be it for awhile until we start seeing some V4 installs here in the US. They do seem to be targeting somewhat rural locations in limited geographical areas.

Hmm, is this it for Magic Docks then and we need to wait for V4s to get more Tesla CCS charging? Will V4s even use Magic Docks or something else?

Edit: And I just checked the Tesla Find Us Map again and I only see 7 Magic Dock stations on it now, all in NY. I wonder what happened to the NorCal ones? Time to check on TMC I'm guessing. I know the Find Us map isn't always accurate (to put it mildly). Let me check my Tesla app too.

Last edited:
I actually wouldn't want to speculate, but I do hope that's it until they start rolling out pedestals that support non-Tesla vehicles better. Hopefully they are just doing a small scale test to gather data for now.

As for the Tesla findus map, now it's down to just 5 stations in NY (Parish, Verona, Batavia and Fredonia are all gone), and if you turn on the regular Superchargers to the display, those sites are completely missing! I suspect it's just a glitch.

I see that, but the two NorCal stations are back. The Find Us map is so unreliable. Yes, those stations don't even appear at all on it rn, go figure.

Does Tesla plan on putting the Magic Dock on every one of their Superchargers? Or are they only going to do it in places where not needed much, as they have so far? Such as Placerville, CA. Walking distance to the next CCS.

How about places that are very much needed, such as Lake Topaz, NV on Hwy 385 where they ONLY have Tesla for many miles? Same with Susanville, CA and many other places that ONLY has Tesla Superchargers.

And if they are going to do them all, when should it all be completed?

Nobody outside of Tesla knows for sure as they haven't said much on the topic. If I had to guess, this initial rollout is just a small scale test of the equipment and back-end systems, put in relatively out of the way locations so as not to disrupt regular Tesla traffic. I don't see the adjacent CCS site in Placerville, but the site in Hancock, NY is literally adjacent to an 8-stall ElectrifyAmerica (branded as EVolveNY) site in a tiny town, not on any major highway, and this is actually a huge site for this area:
1089203.jpg

Parish, NY is another out of the way site (it's hard to even call that one a "town"). It's on an interstate, but a remote one at that that doesn't see a ton of traffic (although actually it's a pretty convenient stop for me when visiting my in-laws in far northern NY).

I will say I am a bit surprised they haven't expanded their test by now. I wouldn't necessarily read anything into that (such as the test not going well). However, I also think that we won't see a more massive rollout of this technology until they start rolling out V4 Superchargers. I expect to see retrofits of existing stations (if any) to be very targeted and probably limited. Think of this initial rollout as a test of the technology in advance of deploying it at new NEVI-funded sites, as opposed to retrofitting existing sites (which would be done entirely at Tesla's expense). This is only speculation of course, but that's what it seems like to me.

Does Tesla plan on putting the Magic Dock on every one of their Superchargers? Or are they only going to do it in places where not needed much, as they have so far? Such as Placerville, CA. Walking distance to the next CCS.

How about places that are very much needed, such as Lake Topaz, NV on Hwy 385 where they ONLY have Tesla for many miles? Same with Susanville, CA and many other places that ONLY has Tesla Superchargers.

And if they are going to do them all, when should it all be completed?

Given the recent announcement of Ford going to NACS, I wouldn't be surprised if the Magic Dock never goes any further. I think they're more likely to sell a Tesla->CCS adapter (which existing Ford EV users will need) and then certify certain vehicles to use SuperChargers.

Given the recent announcement of Ford going to NACS, I wouldn't be surprised if the Magic Dock never goes any further. I think they're more likely to sell a Tesla->CCS adapter (which existing Ford EV users will need) and then certify certain vehicles to use SuperChargers.
I don't mind buying an adapter, but as long as it works with my Energica motorcycles. While I also have owned a Tesla M3 LR, AWD since new in 2018, I charged it on the road three times. Less than once per year. Since motorcycles have a lot less range and are more often ridden away from populated areas, that is a lot more important to me to be able to charge in more places. There are too many places that only have Tesla and nothing else for miles, not even a J-1772 (such as at Lake Topaz, on the CA/NV border on Hwy 395). I charge up an electric motorcycle every trip, but many places I cannot even go to because there are only Tesla SCs on the way.

BTW, I used the Magic dock here on 3-3-2023. A very stupid location. Every parking spot had a Tesla when I got there, and I had to wait. There is CCS just up the block, so this is a dumb location for Magic Dock for several reasons. I only wanted to use it to try it out. And it would only charge at 9 KW, I get 24 KW just a half mile away from a real CCS charger.

But at Lake Topaz, I would even settle for 9KW, better than nothing.

-Don- Reno, NV

Well, GM just announced they are going to NACS. So, now I'm even more certain the Magic Dock will be a short-lived experiment.

Well, GM just announced they are going to NACS. So, now I'm even more certain the Magic Dock will be a short-lived experiment.
Maybe not, as there are countless vehicles out there that still need J-1772. But yeah, it looks like NACS will be the new standard. Not too surprising by the number of Teslas I see on the roads every day out here. I think it is the most common car in many areas.

-Don- Reno, NV

This is what I'm thinking. We may see more, but the idea of deploying Magic Docks broadly is starting to look pretty dead now.

Maybe it was just a "pretty cool" experiment while waiting for other car mfg's to get on board with NACS.

I'd like to try a Magic Dock someday, but the odds keep looking slimmer and slimmer. NO new SuC's built locally have even one of them and there has been quite a bit of expansion here in OC lately.

My hope is maybe some Tesla SuC's will have Magic Docks for legacy support, but if adapters go mainstream, especially with ~6'+ cables, then there probably won't be a need for them.

Who will be next to jump on board the NACS wagon. Lucid or a foreign mfg? Rivian will probably resist longer since they were trying to build out their own network.

This is what I'm thinking. We may see more, but the idea of deploying Magic Docks broadly is starting to look pretty dead now.

Maybe it was just a "pretty cool" experiment while waiting for other car mfg's to get on board with NACS.
I hope Tesla or some other manufacturer makes an NACS to CCS passive adapter. That is what Kyle Conner is leaning towards Tesla doing/supporting instead of the Magic Dock program.
Older Tesla Superchargers will need some electrical board upgrades to be able to communicate in the CCS protocol and Tesla will need to implement a payment system in their app. Once that is done then passive adapters should work.

Tesla will need to implement a payment system in their app.
That has been there for at least a year already. The Tesla app (that anybody can download and use) has a "Charge your non-Tesla". I have already used it at the Magic Dock in Placerville to charge up my 2023 Energica Experia motorcycle:

TeslaMD.jpg

Yeah I know, I meant that at every single Supercharger Tesla will need to do that. Currently that payment flow is only at Superchargers with Magic Dock.
I'm confused. The only reason it only works at Superchargers with magic dock is that's because that's the only sites where it would make sense (today) to do so. I imagine it's only a matter of flipping a bit somewhere in their back end to enable any other sites they wanted to.

That said, I would hope that they implement a cleaner solution such as supporting the Plug & Charge protocol or even a proprietary one like EVgo uses whereby you register the vehicle to the network and from that point on it's simple plug & play.

I think the only reason for using the app method with magic dock is that it's the action of initiating the charge from the app that actually unlocks the magic dock from the pedestal. If we are talking about a generic NACS station using a customer-supplied adapter, there is no need to send a signal to the pedestal (i.e. via the app) to unlock the magic dock, so I believe they will come up with a more seamless method.

I imagine it's only a matter of flipping a bit somewhere in their back end to enable any other sites they wanted to.
That might not necessarily be the case. It's been reported that older Superchargers don't communicate with ("speak") the CCS protocol. They use either DIN or CAN communication. A firmware or hardware change is needed. Right now the Magic Dock install process (either in the adapter unit or the backend electronics) enables CCS communication.
If we are talking about a generic NACS station using a customer-supplied adapter, there is no need to send a signal to the pedestal (i.e. via the app) to unlock the magic dock, so I believe they will come up with a more seamless method.
Yes that would be correct on not needing to send a signal to unlock anything. However, I still think Tesla would go the app activation route since not every car can support Plug and Charge. They also don't want to add a credit card terminal. App activation just makes the most sense right now alongside Plug and Charge for those vehicles that support it.

Back