Improved the Charts display

lpickup

Administrator
Staff member
I finally paid some long overdue attention to the Charts display.

I've improved the scale, X-axis labels, and added some vertical year lines to the "Open Stalls" chart as well as removing the lone 1999 fastcharger that was making the initial part of the "Open Fastchargers" chart so long and drawn out.

The bigger change was to the "Status Days" chart. I've done several things here:
  • Added PLANNED chargers to the list of status days shown (see below for more discussion on that)
  • Combined with Construction, Permit, (and now Planned) stations inline with each other. On supercharge.info, Permit and Construction were kept separate. I'm not sure this was intentional or not, but to me it didn't make any sense. The color coding helps show what status the station is in--differentiating between them by separating them didn't seem important, but let me know if you disagree.
  • Perhaps not as noticeable, but the height of this chart will now dynamically adjust so it remains readable / attractive as stations are added or removed from this list.
So, with the addition of the Planned stations to this chart, we can now easily see that are several stations that have been in the "Planned" state for over a year. I feel that stations in this state, unless there is some kind of evidence that the plan is still active, should probably be removed from the list. After that long, something probably happened to the "plan" and it has been abandoned. Thoughts?

Also, there are several stations at the top of this list which show "0" Planned status days. This is an anomaly of a handful of sites that were added from day 0 of this site which prevents the status days counter for being calculated properly. I consider these to essentially be Planned Status Days of 485 days and hence subject to being dropped as per the discussion above, although coincidentally a few of those 7-Elevens may just finally have opened after being in the Planning stage for over at least 18 months! (See @Dirtman16 's recent post)

Next on my target is addressing the site counter at the top of the Map page, which needs to be re-worked to make it more applicable to a US-centric, non-Tesla database.

Okay, I had to add one more thing here...the original charts on supercharge.info had an "Open Superchargers by Region" chart. Since this site is US-focused, that didn't make much sense, but I did think it would be useful to add an "Open Fastchargers by Provider" chart that shows that growth of each of the networks over time.

I am only displaying the top 7 networks at this time (although that can be easily changed). You can also turn each of them on/off by clicking on their name in the legend.

Enjoy!

Looks like I massively wrecked something in the Charts page with an update I just made (I had been upgrading some of the software packages I was using). It may take me a bit to figure out what went wrong. Sorry for the disruption.

I've got the Charts display mostly working, but the bottom of the Status Days chart is still being cut off. I'll work on that, but at least most of the page is back to working now.

Hopefully I've resolved the last issue. Let me know if you are still seeing issues with the Charts display.

Back