Fastcharger - White Rock - White Rock Visitor Center (White Rock, NM)

DonTom

I am in my motorhome right now in White Rock, NM (87547). Next to me is a NEW CCS ChargePoint, still wrapped up, at the White Rock Welcome Center. I do not see it mentioned in this forum.

Yesterday, I took a photo of it:

ChargerWR.JPG

-Don- White Rock, NM

I see it costs around 88K$ to have it installed. That is cheaper than most, but I don't see it ever being paid off from people charging.

BTW, there are several EVs in this area of different makes. I have seen many EVs around here. But I don't know how many people visit White Rock in EVs. I assume must of the EVs I see around here mostly are using home charging.

-Don- White Rock, NM

I see it costs around 88K$ to have it installed. That is cheaper than most, but I don't see it ever being paid off from people charging.

BTW, there are several EVs in this area of different makes. I have seen many EVs around here. But I don't know how many people visit White Rock in EVs. I assume must of the EVs I see around here mostly are using home charging.

-Don- White Rock, NM
I imagine a lot of the cost is in site prep and utility service upgrades. It could be that this site was relatively simple, and since it's only a single 62.5kW unit (apparently), the utility upgrades (if any) would be far more manageable than even a site with two 150kW stations.

Plus, ChargePoint, being vertically integrated, is able to get superior pricing on their equipment versus a company like Francis who is buying the equipment from a third party. Speaking of which, perhaps they are also fudging the numbers a bit and the funding entity is wise to it:

1698668264365.png

They only awarded them 25% of the estimated cost, versus 72.6% for this site.

As for whether it will be paid off or not, keep in mind the $63,800 is basically free money, leaving only $24K to be "paid off". But also remember that the point of this particular venue is not to make money, but to welcome and bring tourists to the area, so in effect it's a loss leader as is the building, parking lot, and other amenities and the visitor center that don't get "paid off" by the users of the facilities. The hope is that it enables new visitors to the area who will then spend their money in the local community. I imagine that $24K is a pretty reasonable amount to pay for that.

Back