Staff member
This thread is for discussion of the MAPCO - Inverness fast charger

Provider:

Address: 200 Inverness Center Dr, Birmingham, AL 35242

GPS: 33.422661, -86.701295

Stalls: 2

Hours:

Last edited by a moderator:
This station has been relocated and is currently under construction.

New site name should be: MAPCO - Inverness
New coordinates are 33.422661, -86.701295.
Provider is Francis Energy.
Appears to be 2 Power Electronics units capable of 120kW each.

Thanks. This sent me down a tremendously deep rabbit hole. According to @ChrisC's comment on Plugshare, ADECA did give leeway to relocate proposed sites up to a mile, and this appears to have been the case with this one. So I looked around at some of the other sites in the area that have been sitting in Planned state for quite awhile, and researched those grants. In particular I looked deeply at this one:

This one used to have a Plugshare entry, but has since been removed. There are some potential nearby sites including another Shell, but that was already in the 2021 grant list.

At some point I think we will need to do some housecleaning on some of the older "Planned" sites that have not come to fruition. Fortunately this is not one of them!

Thanks. This sent me down a tremendously deep rabbit hole. According to @ChrisC's comment on Plugshare, ADECA did give leeway to relocate proposed sites up to a mile, and this appears to have been the case with this one. So I looked around at some of the other sites in the area that have been sitting in Planned state for quite awhile, and researched those grants. In particular I looked deeply at this one:

This one used to have a Plugshare entry, but has since been removed. There are some potential nearby sites including another Shell, but that was already in the 2021 grant list.

At some point I think we will need to do some housecleaning on some of the older "Planned" sites that have not come to fruition. Fortunately this is not one of them!

I have pretty high confidence in all the planned Alabama sites with the exception of:

1) The one you mention above. I actually drove by that 2 weeks ago and there was nothing. I'd suggest you remove it.
2) Fastcharger - Bessemer - Hamilton Inn - Bessemer
3) Alabama Outdoors - Homewood
4) Fairfield Inn by Marriott - Tuscaloosa

2 and 3 above I would suggest removing. Number 4 is another Francis site that I expect will get moved somewhere nearby, so I'd leave for now.

As an aside, PlugShare has been very hit or miss about allowing planned sites to stay. I've submitted some previously with pretty solid backup, and they'll just remove them. Not sure of the logic.

Okay, based on your input, I've removed #1-3 above. #2 and #3 were both Francis Energy awards, and the Hamilton Inn site still had a Plugshare entry, but definitely no activity.

Back