Electrify America @ Omaha, NE

Mockingbird

Fastcharger Editor
Target T1777 (Omaha, NE)

17810 W Center Rd, Omaha, Nebraska 68130-2308

Electrify America network

1147738.jpg

Nice to see progress here! This will be the first truly fast charger (>150 kW) in Omaha.

Does anyone know why EA picked this Target location at W Center Rd and S 180th St? It is very far from the major travel corridor of I-80. The Target at I St and S 126th Plaza is a far better location closer to the junction of I-80 and US-275.

Nice to see progress here! This will be the first truly fast charger (>150 kW) in Omaha.

Does anyone know why EA picked this Target location at W Center Rd and S 180th St? It is very far from the major travel corridor of I-80. The Target at I St and S 126th Plaza is a far better location closer to the junction of I-80 and US-275.
Most likely, it's closer to the power source, which means a lower cost for Electrify America.

Any updates here at the future EA in Omaha?

I am planning on being in Omaha between August 9 and 12. I was really hoping this site would be live by then and I could be among the first 800-volt EVs to charge here.

Hello everyone, I have an update for you all and it's a mixed bag. Unfortunately it looks like all EA has to do is flip the switch on their end. The utility electric meter is already in place. Looks like they sized the transformer appropriately here, it's 750 kVA.

We're getting six new SKSignet next-gen Electrify America chargers. The dispensers were manufactured in June 2022 and the power cabinets were manufactured in December 2022. Now, it's just up to EA's timeframe to get these units provisioned (initially set up) and opened to the public.

Pictures from me are below.
1185270.jpg

1185268.jpg

1185265.jpg
20230806_203930.jpg
1185262.jpg

Surprise! EA confirmed to me on X that Omaha will go live this fall. They said early fall, so hopefully that means late September or early October. This site really needs to go live before the Thanksgiving holiday driving rush. Interestingly, the EA rep used the wrong two letter abbreviation for Nebraska. They put NB (New Brunswick) instead of NE (Nebraska).

Did you get full speeds in your Ioniq 5? I was there exactly a month ago in my EV6. Such a shame I was exactly a month too early, but I'm glad EA brought this site online earlier than anticipated (they quoted by Fall 2023 in their tweet reply to me).
I topped out in the low 200's, but plugged in in the mid-30%'s range. Overnight temps are down in the 50's, so I suspect the battery was still a bit cool and the SOC a bit high. It dropped to 156kW a bit earlier than I expected, but stayed there for the rest of session. I had just gotten the ICCU update, so I'm not sure if that changed anything for charge curve.

Overnight temps are down in the 50's, so I suspect the battery was still a bit cool and the SOC a bit high. It dropped to 156kW a bit earlier than I expected, but stayed there for the rest of session.
We could probably have a separate (off-topic) discussion about charging speeds. But without knowing exact battery temperature data, most of it would be speculation. You should be able to hold the full 305 amps (200+ kW) until the battery max temp hits 50°C. That should be about 10 minutes of full speed charging. It should allow you to hit those speeds until 70% SoC or so.

Yeah, the peak power seemed like a cool battery to me (yes, speculation). The sudden drop to 156kW almost seemed like a power module dropped out (pure speculation). Others have had normal sessions since mine, so I'm not at all worried about it. My R1T session was normal as well.

Yeah, the peak power seemed like a cool battery to me (yes, speculation). The sudden drop to 156kW almost seemed like a power module dropped out (pure speculation). Others have had normal sessions since mine, so I'm not at all worried about it. My R1T session was normal as well.
By the low 30% range you should be around 225 kW pulling the full 305 amps. I'm not sure exactly what the cold battery taper amperages are but it seems like you were only at 270 amps (around 740 Volts).

Was there anyone else charging while you were? Unless you look at the side of the dispensers, you won't be able to tell which dispensers power share on the new EA stations with load balancing.

Back