Costco, Leader In Gas Discounts, Has No Plans To Add EV Chargers

Falcon73

This is NOT the news I was hoping for from Costco. Maybe in another 3-5 years or more.

Costco, Leader In Gas Discounts, Has No Plans To Add EV Chargers

Costco tends to be on the cutting edge when it comes to products and how it runs its business. As you may remember, it was one of the first store chains to add electric car charging stations, though it got rid of them way back in 2011. However, during the company's recent earning call, CFO Richard Galanti said Costco won't be bringing back EV chargers "in the next few years."

I know their timing before was bad, but they pulled them before even before Tesla & Leaf really appeared on the scene. They are still feeling the burn from that apparently, but that's ancient history for EVs now.

I just dropped a request to add EV chargers in the suggestion box a few weeks ago and this is not a great response. However, I suppose it just means they won't do their own charging network. So, my dream of them teaming up with Kempower probably isn't going to happen for a while.

But, it probably doesn't mean 3rd party networks can't add sites to Costco locations on an individual basis.

Big box stores like Costco are a great match for charging stations considering it may increase the dwell time for customers, and the items in their stores tend to be more big ticket items and not $2.79 sodas. I suppose it will take one of their competitors to take charge before they will change their tune.

Companies like Costco and a lot of people don't seem to understand that the time it takes to charge is not a detriment but a benefit.

It sure beats waiting in the gas line like I used to do before we had EVs at Costco and not able to do much except check my phone.

Back