Cheyenne, WY Electrify America

I got charged the full rate even though I never crossed 90kW (saw a brief peak of 85kW). I think as stated a few posts up, they charge based on what the car can pull... not necessarily what is it pulling at the beginning, middle, or end.

I got charged the full rate even though I never crossed 90kW (saw a brief peak of 85kW). I think as stated a few posts up, they charge based on what the car can pull... not necessarily what is it pulling at the beginning, middle, or end.
E.A. needs to be less opaque about this. It borders on "bait and switch" to post their rates in an unclear manner. I'll try charging at a high state of charge and post my results.

E.A. needs to be less opaque about this. It borders on "bait and switch" to post their rates in an unclear manner. I'll try charging at a high state of charge and post my results.
Yeah... typically per kWh pricing tends to be higher, but I vastly prefer the transparency that it brings. And clearly EA could do it in Wyoming as other providers currently charge that way.

Not sure it brings higher costs. It brings more transparency. Some states require cost per kWh to be disclosed just like cost per gallon of fossil fuels. Wyoming for reasons I don't understand isn't one of those states. My guess is as EV adoption increases in the state there will eventually be a push to change this.

My understanding is that the pricing is based on the maximum your vehicle can do rather than what is actually delivered. In my experience, our Bolts have always gotten the lower rate while our Mach E always gets the higher one (regardless of what we're pulling).
This is correct. During the initial negotiation process, the car specifies what power (actually current) it is capable of receiving, and EA sets your tier based on that for the entire session. It does not matter what your car actually pulls.

Reactions: SRL
This is correct. During the initial negotiation process, the car specifies what power (actually current) it is capable of receiving, and EA sets your tier based on that for the entire session. It does not matter what your car actually pulls.
Interesting. The Tesla Supercharger has 3 tiers of rates based on rate of charge the vehicle is drawing. Here's a redacted screenshot from a recent cross country trip.

20230904_182017.jpg

Interesting. The Tesla Supercharger has 3 tiers of rates based on rate of charge the vehicle is drawing. Here's a redacted screenshot from a recent cross country trip.
Yes, that is the fair way to do it. That's not how EA does it however. See Pricing and Plans for EV Charging | Electrify America and in particular, the FAQ answer to In per-minute locations, how does power level pricing work:

When you plug in to charge, your vehicle tells the charger the maximum power it can accept. Based on that communication, your vehicle will be assigned to the corresponding power level offered by the charger.

Your charging speed may fluctuate due to factors like weather, age of your battery, and how full your battery is (your state of charge). The per-minute price stays the same for the entire session, regardless of how the charging speed may vary.

I don't know if this could be an alternative to the EA station in Cheyenne if it goes down. One of 4 charging connectors is offline already.

Cheyenne is getting more EV charging stations. These are being installed by RIVIAN at JAX at Frontier Mall. I have no other details but from the size of the wrapped hardware, I'm guessing they will be Level 3 chargers.

20231004_120821.jpg

Good find! The fact that it looks like 6 cabinets would surely indicate DC fast chargers. However, those would not be open to anything but Rivian vehicles at this time (although I believe they have indicated an interest in eventually opening their network up--no doubt Tesla's recent moves may accelerate those plans).

I'd be happy to add this as an under construction site, but do you have any closeups of the equipment or anything concrete that identifies it as a Rivian site?

Good find! The fact that it looks like 6 cabinets would surely indicate DC fast chargers. However, those would not be open to anything but Rivian vehicles at this time (although I believe they have indicated an interest in eventually opening their network up--no doubt Tesla's recent moves may accelerate those plans).

I'd be happy to add this as an under construction site, but do you have any closeups of the equipment or anything concrete that identifies it as a Rivian site?
You have what I have. The construction crew said the chargers are "RIVIAN" and a Colorado RIvian Facebook group has confirmed that Cheyenne is being added as part of the RIVIAN Adventure Network. I don't want to bother the crew, so I'll post another picture when the equipment is visible. Even if it's RIVIAN only, it reduces the likelihood of having to wait at the E.A. station in Cheyenne, so 3 see that as a win for everyone.

Last edited:
Back