Chargepoint NACS

tkmedia

looks like a few DC Chargepoints have NACS. Their HQ had it for a while now, but the other locations were installed the past couple of weeks.

2700 Bell Rd, Auburn, CA 95603
2789 E Bidwell St, Folsom, CA,95630
240 E Hacienda Ave, Campbell, CA 95008 (CP HQ)

looks like a few DC Chargepoints have NACS. Their HQ had it for a while now, but the other locations were installed the past couple of weeks.

2700 Bell Rd, Auburn, CA 95603
2789 E Bidwell St, Folsom, CA,95630
240 E Hacienda Ave, Campbell, CA 95008 (CP HQ)
2700 Bell is only a few miles from my house in Auburn. It's the Target Store there. I go by there often, but those chargers are too close to my home to be useful. But I did use them once (June 16, 2023) to see if they were updated to the FW that would work with my Energica motorcycles. They were updated and worked perfectly.

I will have to go there again and look at their connectors.

Here is that location:

1705592882364.png

-Don- Reno, NV

They have the AC power off at my Auburn, CA home as they are changing a power pole. Power off for four hours. I figure this would be a good time to charge up my Tesla here in Auburn, CA Bell Target.

I am NOW charging my 2018 Tesla M3 at the Bell CCS Chargepoint with the one NACS connector. Only one of the four DCFCs here have the NACS connector. I am charging at 44KW, battery at 50F, a little cold. I know of no way to precondition the battery for CCS, navigation does NOT do it.

I have a few comments as I am waiting at 44 KW to charge up.

The button on the handle will NOT open my charge door via wireless.

But the ChargePoint CCS on my 2018 Telsa Model 3 works fine. But I wonder if it would work if I did NOT recently change my charging ECU for CCS adapter support. I assume not. But I am NOT using any type of adapter.

Here are some photos:

40kw.JPG

My battery temp is low. 50F outside:
BattTemplow.JPG

Note other charger has NO NACS connector. I am using the only NACS cable on the four Chargepoint CCS chargers.
MyBTeslaM3.JPG

-Don- Target Store on Bell Road, Auburn, CA

That was my most expensive charge ever. But in Auburn, CA everything costs more:

1708028612161.png

-Don- Auburn, CA

Interesting. I wonder if the port opening protocol is part of the new J3400 standard or if that's just a Tesla only thing. Regardless, you can always just tap the door, so not too big a deal.

I'd be curious to see if it would go up higher with a warmer battery and lower SOC.

Interesting. I wonder if the port opening protocol is part of the new J3400 standard or if that's just a Tesla only thing. Regardless, you can always just tap the door, so not too big a deal.

I'd be curious to see if it would go up higher with a warmer battery and lower SOC.
Perhaps, but I was only using a 50KW charger as that was the one with the NACS connector I wanted to try out. I got near the 50KW just before the big drop off at close to 80% SOC.

And their fastest charger there only does 62.5 KW.

-Don- Auburn, CA

nice write up. I have a old 18 but have yet to get CCS update. can you not fake a pre condition in the nav by directing it to a super charger? but again its not much difference as they are not link shared to do 100+. my chargepoint has discounts and not exactly sure why. it is a super old membership.

nice write up. I have a old 18 but have yet to get CCS update. can you not fake a pre condition in the nav by directing it to a super charger? but again its not much difference as they are not link shared to do 100+. my chargepoint has discounts and not exactly sure why. it is a super old membership.
I suppose I could trick it by navigating to a close by Tesla Supercharger and then going for the CCS charge. But not practical as then I would be using the nearby Tesla Supercharger anyway. But I probably could have used such a trick yesterday.

I wish there was a way to manually activate the battery preconditioning and read the battery temperature.

BTW, I think I heard something about an OTA Tesla update that will soon be coming to improve charging. But I have no idea what it does.

Does anybody here know how Tesla works out the home charging when below freezing?

You can update a Tesla at any time in the "Software" screen. The Password is "service".

Tesla Service Mode is a debugging utility designed to help service personnel diagnose problems on a Tesla EV1. To access Service Mode, you need to23:
  1. Navigate to Controls > Software.
  2. Tap and hold on the vehicle's model name that appears underneath the car's image until a water ripple appears.
  3. Release and type 'service' in the dialog box before hitting 'ok'.
  4. When asked for a code, enter “service”.

But if you want to charge via CCS in 2018 M3, first need to change your charging ECU.

I can give you the complete instruction on request later. I need to leave for now.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Last edited:
thanks Don, but no instruction necessary. Im currently immobile, have difficult enough time getting to the next room rather than worry about driving.

Obviously not since NACS is just CCS protocol over the Tesla connector
Yeah, that is what I figured. It just makes it so no adapter is necessary.

It proves my charging ECU replacement for "ccs adapter support" is working well.

It's now been tested on all types of chargers.

-Don- Reno, NV

Back